United Kingdom(UK) is home to some of the world’s most prominent institutions of higher learning and ranked among the top universities in the world. It is reputed for its excellent quality of education, interactive teaching methodology and quality students.
It has excellent opportunity for research and development and provides great exposure in skills related to leadership, analytical thinking and practical subject implementation.
UK universities feature prominently in the Global University Rankings whether it is the QS World University Rankings or the Times Higher Education World University Rankings. The United Kingdom is home to more than 400 universities. Given the diversity of courses, there is a wide range of institutions that are available and suitable for international students pursuing higher education.
USP of studying in UK:
- Home to some of the top universities in the world like Oxford, Cambridge and Kings
- Affordable living expense and education
- Highest rating for student satisfaction
- Availability of both short and long-term courses
- Post study work opportunity up to 2 years
- High employability rate
- Part time work opportunity of 20 hours per week during course
Education System in UK:
Education in UK is divided into four regions: England, Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland. All the four regions have individual education framework starting from qualification requirement, credit framework, eligibility, rules and regulations. The major difference is found in the general and secondary levels;
- Primary Education
- Secondary Education
- Tertiary Education
- Higher Education
- Master programs are two type
- Post Graduate Taught
- Post Graduate Research
Industry and jobs:
- Finance is the top industry in the UK. High salaried jobs are:
- Investment Banking Analyst
- Business Management Consultant
- Audit Assistant
- Business Analyst
- Software Engineer
- Design Engineer
Salary ranges between 26000 GBP to 55000 GBP.
The Russel Group of Universities:
The Russel groups of 24 universities are of highest category and research intensive universities.
- University of Birmingham
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- University of Leeds
- University of Cambridge
- King’s College London
- University of Exeter
- University of Liverpool
- University of Sheffield
- University of Southampton
- University of Manchester
- Queen’s University Belfast
- London Business School
- Judge Business School
- University of Oxford- Said Business School
- Imperial College Business School
- Warwick Business School
- University of Edinburgh Business School
- Lancaster University Management School
Freshers MBA university: Acceptance of MBA without previous work experience:
- University of West London
- Anglia Ruskin
- University of Bedfordshire
- Middlesex University
- Coventry University
Eligibility Criteria for Under Graduate Program :-
- SAT is not required apart from the top league universities like Cambridge, Oxford, UCL.
- UCAS Tariff Points- Typical 112
- Average academic background
- Optional score in eligibility exams IELTS/IELTS UKVI
- Strong recommendation letter
- To the point statement of purpose, comprehensive essay and resume.
- Certificates of merit and other co- curricular activities
- Strong grades to get scholarship
- Average academic background
- Good Universities need more than 85% in class XII board exam
- With 75% onwards student get admit from decent university
- There is opportunity for1 year Foundation Program before going to the main program if student does not meet the eligibility criteria.
- English Proficiency Test is Mandatory : IELTS is suggested.
- Generally deadline is 15thJanuary , so the students are suggested to submit UCAS application with Class X Mark-sheet, Predicated Score( teacher has to send) , Personal Statement and one reference letter.
- Resume or Essays are not required for UK
Eligibility Criteria for Masters/MBA
- Universities accepts 15 years of education for master programs
- Average academic background
- Letter of acceptance with approximately 2.2 or 2.1 in some universities
- Optional score in eligibility exams GRE/GMAT/IELTS/TOEFL
- Strong recommendation letters
- Updated resumes for MBA
- To the point statement of purpose, essays and resumes
- Certificates of merit and co-curricular activities
- Good grades for scholarship
- Mater program are of two types
- MS Taught
- MS Research
Academic Cycle and Deadlines:
- Summer-May ( not for International students)
Major intakes are September and January
Both the application are rolling application upto June 30th but apply at the earliest
When to apply:
Ideal timeline is to start the process is 10-12 months earlier to the intake. Universities takes 9-10 weeks to send the offer of acceptance.
How to apply:
Ideal timeline for Fall and Spring
Fall Intake :-
March-Aug – Test Taking
July-Oct – Short listing of university
Nov-Dec – Finalizing University and application
Dec-Feb – Admit decisions
March-May – Visa application
June- August – Departure
Student can apply for UK visa after receiving CAS and student can apply 90 days prior to course commencement date.
For Master : Student can apply without IELTS score and if he meets the entry requirement he will receive conditional offer letter, but then he has to send IELTS score card to receive Unconditional offer letter.
Spring Intake :-
March-June – Test Taking
April-July – Short listing University
July-Oct – Finalizing University and application
Oct-Dec – Admission Decision
Nov-Dec – Visa Application
Dec-Jan – Departure
Part time and Post study Work Right :-
Part Time- Student can work up to 20 hours per week. Student can choose to work full time on public holidays on and off campus
Full Time: Student is eligible for 2 year post study work right visa after undergraduate and post graduate study.
Note: There are options for staying 4 to 6 years post completion of course. There are universities which allows students with low or no IELTS. Example – Coventry and Sheffield.
Cost of Attendance for Under Graduate Program :-
An undergraduate program in UK is for 3 years mostly apart from rare courses completing in 4 years.
For an undergraduate program per year expenditure ranges between 11000-20000 pounds and approximately 35,000 pounds for medical degrees.
Cost of Attendance for Post Graduate Program :-
Post graduate courses in UK are for 1 year hence tuition fees are cheaper compared to other countries
For a post graduate program course fee ranges from 13000 pounds for tuition and up to 35000 pound for MBA and clinical degrees.
By and large expenditure depends on the university and choice of accommodation. On an average it ranges between 12000 to 15000 pounds