The United States has one of the world’s renowned universities, with outstanding program and research opportunities in virtually all fields. It is home to over 4000 colleges and universities, offering huge campuses, elaborate and updated laboratories and scholar faculties who are master in their domain. A degree obtained in the US are highly regarded worldwide.
US is one of the most diverse country on earth with varied geographical regions. It is the hub for international students which adds in cultural diversity to the country.
USP of studying in USA :-
- Highest number of universities making funding easier for PHD students.
- Degrees in varying fields recognized worldwide
- Excellent for research work with renowned faculties
- Three years of post-study work right post completion of masters.
- Huge opportunity for practical implementation and hand on experience in projects.
- Students are eligible to part time job on Campus up to 20 hrs per week.
- Higher chances of scholarship
- Non- durable manufacturing
Types of University and Colleges :-
- Ivy League Universities
- Public Universities
- Private Universities
- State Universities ( all state universities are public but all public Universities are not state)
- Liberal Arts Colleges
- Community Colleges
Eligibility Criteria for Under Graduate :-
- Most universities have a SAT requirement
- SAT is must for IVY League and top universities( SAT subject score is required )
- More emphasis is given on section wise score than the overall SAT score
- Few among the top league universities have subject score requirement like MIT and Harvard.
- Extra Co-curricular activities plays a very critical for under graduate application.
- TOEFL or IELTS score is required as language proficiency test.
Eligibility Criteria for Masters :-
- Student needs 16 years of education for taking up master program in US. Some universities accept 15 years of education like New York University and Yale. In non-stem courses 15 years of education is accepted as well but needs networking with university.
- GRE for master program and GMAT for MBA program are almost mandatory for all universities. A minimum of 315 and 650 is considered as good score respectively for GRE and GMAT.
- Student needs to take up TOEFL or IELTS with 90 IBT minimum in TOEFL and 6.5 band minimum in IELTS. Test for proficiency in English Language is mandatory for USA.
- Statement of Purpose, letter of recommendation, transcripts are required for admission
- Work Experience for MBA and special masters
Top colleges for Masters program in STEM courses :-
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Stanford University
- Princeton University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Purdue University
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Penn State University
- Columbia University
- MIT Sloan School of Management
- Kellogg School of Management
- Harvard Business School
- Stanford Graduate School of Business
- Haas Business School
- Ross Business School
- Wharton Business School
Scholarship for Masters:
- Graduate Assistantship
- Teaching Assistantship
- Research Assistantship
Note: For Merit based scholarship, student needs very good academic profile as well good GRE score. There is No separate scholarship application for Merit based scholarship.
Intakes and Deadlines:
- There are two intakes in USA
- Fall – August September
- Spring – January February
Exact timeline for the whole process:-
For Fall Intake
March – Aug Test Taking and tentative shortlisting for score reporting
Sept-Oct – Finalizing University
Oct-Dec – Application submission
Dec-Feb – Admit decisions
March-June – Visa application
June- August – Departure
Cost of Attendance
Accommodation largely depends on which part of the country student is choosing to stay and the kind of accommodation. Tuition fee plus accommodation is 25-35 lakh per year for Public and State University for Masters and up to 40 Lakh for MBA.
Note – For Masters student has to show one year funding ( tuition Fee & Living cost) to receive the I20
Post Study Work Right:
Part Time: Student can work up to 20 years per week during course. Student can take up full time work during public holidays.
Full Time: Student is entitled to 3 year post completion of undergraduate or master program under STEM courses.
1 year stay back for Management courses.
PHD in USA:
PHD in USA most of the time offers full fund for the duration of research work.Generally the duration is 5 years
Eligibility Criteria for PHD :-
- Student having a CGPA of 8 or more in graduate and masters is the ideal profile for PHD.
- Showing research or high competency is subject is extremely critical for PHD students.
- Student should ideally have one publication apart from dissertation
- Student should show work and research in the subject he/she is willing to pursue PHD.
- If there is gap year between Masters and taking up PHD, it should be justified with relevant research work.
- GRE is mandatory for most universities. A score of 315 and above is desirable.
- GRE subject test is required for subjects like pure science, physics, chemistry etc
- IELTS / TOEFL is mandatory for English proficiency
Steps for fund confirmation and application :
- Networking with subject professors is the first and most important step for PHD aspirants
- Shortlisting of universities
- Test Scores GRE & TOEFL / IELTS sending to the university directly from the ETS.
- Editing of Statement of Purpose(SOP) and Personal Statement
- Discussion and format for Letter of Recommendation
- All educational and transcript documentation required for application
- Application to chosen Universities
- Preparation for personal interview with guide when required
- Visa documentation and VISA interview preparation
- Pre-Departure session
Student should ideally start the process 10 to 12 months before the session.
Major intake in Fall – August \ September:
For PHD, Student have to submit application by priority deadline in order to receive funding. Priority Deadline varies from University to University , but almost all universities deadlines are over by 15th January.
Google Reviews of Our Students
I came across frame learning through Social Media. Initially, I was skeptical but after talking to the spokesperson I did my research and to say the least I was impressed. Throughout my application process, they have helped me immensely in every step from shortlisting the university to getting an offer letter with scholarships. To me, Frame Learning and their service was a total value for money. I would love to recommend them to anyone who is aspiring to study abroad!!!
I was a student in the first year of my M.Sc course who had an aspiration of studying abroad when I came across FrameLearning 3-4 months ago. I got to know more about the GRE and TOEFL exams under their guidance. The courses are affordable at a very reasonable price along with some of the best tutors and guidance that I have come across. So, if you are planning to study abroad, I will highly recommend you to give FrameLearning a try.