When it comes to choosing the destination country and university to study in, many students don’t even consider diversity. And it’s a mistake. Ensuring diversity in education, especially on college campuses, has many benefits.
Advantages of Diversity in Education
Here are some of the direct and indirect benefits of getting admission to a college that diverse:
- Students benefit from diversity because they learn how to interact with people who are different from themselves. When students have diverse classmates or faculty members, they are more likely to be exposed to diverse viewpoints and ideas.
- Diversity teaches students about the world outside their own community, which helps them develop an understanding of global issues and concerns.
- Diverse audiences help promote cross-cultural communication among students and faculty members alike, which furthers understanding in educational settings and beyond.
- Students benefit from having diverse classmates because they get to know people whose backgrounds are different from theirs and who have different experiences than they do–and that can make for better relationships between them.
- Diversity in education promotes higher cultural and intellectual engagement as well as enhanced academic skills like problem-solving, critical thinking, collaboration, research, communication, and more.
Top and Diverse Universities
Here’s a list of the most diverse universities in the US:
- New York Institute of Technology
- New York University
- University of Massachusetts-Boston
- University of San Francisco
- Rutgers University-Newark
- Johns Hopkins University
- Cornell University
- New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Stony Brook University
- Illinois Institute of Technology
Here’s a list of the most diverse universities in the UK:
- University of Westminster
- Kingston University
- City, University of London
- Middlesex University
- University College London
- Open University
- University of Greenwich
- King’s College London
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- Brunel University
Here’s a list of the most diverse universities in Australia:
- Bond University
- Australian National University
- University of Melbourne
- Sydney University
- University of New South Wales (UNSW)
- University of Queensland
- Monash University
Here’s a list of the most diverse universities in Germany:
- Jacobs University
- Technical University of Munich
- Technical University of Berlin
- Hamburg University of Technology
- RWTH Aachen University
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- Ilmenau University of Technology
- Free University of Berlin
- University of Freiburg
- Charite-Universitätsmedizin Berlin
Consider All Your Options
If you’re planning to study abroad, consider all your options when choosing the country and university. For one, pick a destination country that homes top institutes, as well as is friendly and peaceful with macro diversity. Subsequently, look for a university that has a good track record in inclusion and diversity.
A diverse culture on a college campus can bring incredible learning opportunities for you, enabling your personal and professional growth.
Of course, as mentioned earlier, there are several other factors you must consider when picking a university. So, consider getting help from experts. Connect with overseas education consultants and seek their expertise in finding and getting admission to a top university (in the right country) that upholds high standards in quality education, faculty, and campus diversity.