The United States is home to some of the world’s leading law schools. So, the appeal to do law in this country makes sense for the international students. If you too want to study law in the USA – congratulations, you’re a part of a growing crowd of aspirants. Now, before you rush to take any definite steps, there are several things that you must know about pursuing this path.
- Law education in the US can be pursued as a post-graduate course. There’s no standard undergraduate-level program for law. Even with a completely non-related undergraduate degree, you can opt to study law. This means the international students wishing to study law in the US should have an undergraduate degree or anything equivalent.
- The majority of law schools in the USA offer J.D. or Juris Doctor Program. It is usually of three years for full-time students and four years for part-time students. (There are universities that offer joint UG and J.D, programs of 6 years. So, if you haven’t started your undergraduate journey yet, you can enroll in one of such courses.)At the end of the course, you will have to sit for a bar exam and qualify to practice law.If you want to return to India and practice law here after completing the J.D. program in the US, you would have to sit for the bar exam even here.
- During your J.D. studies, you would also be required to do internships to gain hands-on experience. Such internships can also pave the way to full-time employment opportunities after successfully graduating from the course.
- After completing the course and getting J.D. degree, you can enroll in Master’s programs like LLM, specializing in certain areas. You can pursue higher education in law, which can unlock you further great opportunities.
- To apply to the law school in the US, there are certain requirements you must fulfill. Foremost, you would need a bachelor’s degree (or anything equivalent). Second, you would need LSAT scores, as well as TOEFL score. You would also require recommendation letters from relevant stakeholders that position you as a fitting candidate for law studies. Recommended Read: Want To Study Law In The US? (LSAT And All You Must Know)
- Studying law in the US can be an expensive affair; especially in top universities. Fortunately, there are also many scholarships available. So, you should search and apply for the right scholarships, which should be planned and prepared for well in advance.During the admission process, you would also have to show proof of funds for your academic year.
Of course, there are plenty of other things that you must know about pursuing law in the US, like finding a good law school, preparing for the LSAT, and readying to study abroad. So, if you’re really serious about pursuing this path, get in touch with overseas education consultants today and get their help throughout the planning and preparation phase.